Monday, December 24, 2012

Happy Christmas!


23rd December '12
Hello civilisation! I'm back in Jo'burg after three absolutely incredibly months in the bush, and I can tell you it feels very strange to be back in a city! 

The last few weeks have been super hectic and stressful with final exams, and after 3 months without a break, its great to be on holiday now. But let me fill you in on the last few weeks….

The Navigation & Orientation course with Rhodes and Albie was great - 8 hours of walking everyday, we learnt how to orientate ourselves in the bush, use the sun and other natural indicators, as well as GPS (which is now on my christmas list!). With so much walking we had some cool sightings, one particularly special one was bumping 5 white rhino, which was fantastic. One minor embarrassing story from the week - we were walking in the Gollan Dam area along a dry river bed and, being very absorbed in my compass, I failed to see the massive branch overhanging the draining line…next minute I was on the floor, with a lovely bloody gash on my head…chomp. Very impressed with the rest of the group who refrained from laughing, although that didn't last long and the jokes started back at camp (and have yet to stop!). 

Navigating up the Koppie
R to L: Blake, Martin, Albie, Angus, George, Henry, Kobus

The Nav course ended on the Thursday and we sat our FGASA level 1 theory exam on the Sunday. We were all very nervous for it, as passing determines which courses you can actively participate in thereafter and also how good your work placement in the new year will be. Luckily, it was not as hard as we all thought it would be, and we all passed with the highest group average to date - well done chickens. The FGASA practical was next - a  three hour game drive - and was far more stressful. Rather unfortunately, mine was scheduled on the first day of assessments, so it was straight out of the written exam and into my drive on the Monday! Overall it went well though, and I was highly complimented by a very kind JP. Believe it or not, I failed to see any mammals at all on the whole drive, which when your being assessed on knowledge was rather funny, but I managed to link them in to other things like trees, dung, and other signs. We did however, see the stunning display of winged termites leaving their mounds after heavy rain the night before and all the frogs gobbling them up - super cool to see and was fun to explain the process to my guests. I was talking about what a great source of protein termites are and how you can eat them, so naturally one of my guests piped up that I should try one and demonstrate - haha yummy, tasted like butter! It was a huge relief when it was all over, and having being first, I had 3 days to chill and bring myself towards myself before going off on holiday, whoo hoo!!

Singita
Chris was very kind to invite me on my way home to stay a few nights in Singita where he is currently guiding, to have a look around and get an insight into the real life of a guide. The reserve was absolutely stunning, with great open grasslands, some incredible trees and a beautiful river full of crocs and hippos. The lodge itself was also amazing from what I saw of it, as you would expect from one of the most exclusive lodges/ hotels in the whole of Africa! Singita employs some 250 people, of whom about 80 live in the "staff village" just behind the lodge. The village is exactly like a university campus, with everyone in little houses and rooms, it has a swimming pool, gym and bar - everything you would need and more! Everyone was really nice, I met all sorts of people from front of house, guides, chefs, maintenance guys, beauty technicians who work in the lodge spa, and even a paramedic who is based there full time. It was so interesting to speak to them all about their roles, and it was great to speak to a few guides who actually started with EcoTraining doing the same course as me and who are now guiding at Singita - arguably the best lodge you can guide for. 

Breakfast with a view; zebras in Singita

I was lucky while I was there to get lots of time in the bush to explore. I went on a morning drive with Daniella, an ex-EcoTraining student who has just started there and was learning the roads, so I got to tag along which was great fun. I also got to go on a guided drive with Chris one afternoon - his clients, two very funny gentlemen from New York  (one who has starred in Will and Grace) kindly agreed to let me join them, so we had a wonderful afternoon out in the bush, and it was great to be on a real guided drive and pick up lots of ideas. I really can't wait to have my own guests. 

It was a fantastic being so exposed to the life as a guide, and despite being worked incredibly hard and having very long hours, it confirmed that without a doubt I'm pursuing the right path and I can't wait to finish my course and get stuck in.

Johannesburg
Have just arrived back in Jo'burg with Aunty Merry, and Ashleigh, Carl and the kids are all over from Hong Kong for christmas, so its wonderful catching up with everyone. First christmas in SA for a good 15 years, so cool to be here. Off to Orange River canoe trail on the 26th, going to be epic. Hope you all have a great christmas and new year, and looking forward to catching up over the hols!

Lots of love xxxx

Sundowners on Prides Rock in Selati to end the tracking course
R to L: Richard, Yohanna, Blake, Henry, Guy, Blade, George, Elsa, Marianne, Alex, Angus, Ed, me, Martin, Kobus
Front: 

Nyala hiding from the rain just infront of my tent, suckling her young
The baby Nyala is hidden my its mother just infront of my tent while she feeds

On a drive with Chris in Singita and his tracker 


Elephant in Singita

My first Leopard! A stunning male in Singita *thanks Chris*

No comments:

Post a Comment